What is gear ?
Gears are toothed discs which is used to transmit motion between two shafts with minimal losses. Gears are positive drives.
Positive Drive : Positive drives are those which transmit motion without any slip.
What is a Gear Drive ?
Gear drives find a very prominent place in mechanical power transmission. Gear drives are preferred when considerable power has to be transmitted over a short center distance positively with a constant velocity ratio.
Advantages of Gear drive
- It transmits exact velocity ratio
- It is used to transmit large power
- It has high efficiency
- It has reliable service and compact layout
Disadvantages of gear drive
- The manufacturing of gear requires special tools and equipment’s.
- The error in cutting teeth may cause vibrations and noise during operations.