Different types of belt are as follows
- Flat Belt
- V – Belt
- Circular Belt
- Flat Belt : Flat belt has a rectangular cross section. These belts are capable of transmitting power over long distance between pulley centers. The efficiency of this drive is around 98 % and produce less noise.
- V – Belt : V-Belts also used with grooved pulleys, V-belts are trapezoidal in cross section. These belts permit large speed ratios and can transmit higher power. Multiple drives are possible.
- Circular Belt or Round Belt : This type of belt has a circular cross section and is used with grooved pulleys.
Different types of material used for belts
- Leather belts
- Cotton bets or Fabric belts
- Rubber belts
- Leather belts : The leather may be oak tanned or mineral salt tanned. Example chrome tanned. When the thickness of the belt required is more then, two or more strips are cemented together. Leather belts require periodic cleaning.
- Cotton bets or Fabric belts Fabric belts are made by folding canvas or cotton ducks in layers and stiching together. The fabric belts are cheaper and best suited in warm climates, damp atmospheres. These are mostly used in Farm machinery, belt conveyor etc.
- Rubber belts : These belts are made of Fabric with rubber layer. These are used in sawmills, paper mills, etc.
- Balata : The belts made out of this material are similar to rubber belts except that balata gum is used instead of rubber. The belts of this material are acid and water proof but cannot be used where temperature is above 45 degree centigrade.
error: Content is protected !!