Different Types of Beams :
Beams are classified into many types based on three main criteria.
- Based on Geometry
- Straight beam – Beam with straight profile
- Curved beam – Beam with curved profile
- Tapered beam – Beam with tapered cross section
- Based on the shape of cross section
- I – Beam – Beam with “I” cross section
- T – Beam – Beam with “T” cross section
- C – Beam – Beam with “C” Cross section
- Based on equilibrium conditions
- Statically determinate beam – For a statically determinate beam, equilibrium conditions alone can be used to solve reactions.
- Statically indeterminate beam – For a statically indeterminate beam, equilibrium conditions are not enough to solve reactions. Additional deflections are needed to solve reactions.
- Based on the type of support
- Simply supported beam
- Cantilever beam
- Overhanging beam
- Continuous beam
- Fixed beam
Different types of Beams based on the type of support
- Simply supported Beam : A type of beam which is supported at both ends is called as Simply supported beam. It is the one of the simplest structural elements in existence.
- Cantilever Beam : A type of beam which is fixed at one end and free at the other end is called as Cantilever Beam.
- Fixed Beam : It is a type of beam which is fixed at both ends is called as Fixed beam.
- Overhanging Beam : A beam having its end portion extended beyond the support, is known as overhanging beam. A beam may be overhanging on one side or on both sides.
- Continuous Beam : A Beam having more than two supports is known as continuous beam.
Questions and Answers
- A beam which is fixed at one end and free at the other is called
Answer : Cantilever Beam
- A beam extending beyond the supports is called
Answer : Overhanging Beam
- A beam encastered at both ends is called
Answer : Fixed Beam
- A beam supported on more than two supports is called
Answer : Continuous beam
- A cantilever beam is one which is
Answer : Fixed at one end and free at the other end
- A continuous beam is one which is
Answer : Supported on more than two supports